Cheshire is an area bursting with things to see and do from amazingly awesome attractions with the kids to beautiful gardens and stunning stately homes for the grandparents, there is something for everyone. So while some of the family enjoy their horse riding holiday have a look at what every one else can get upto:
Any non-riders will have plenty to do, while horse riders can still make time to get to know Cheshire.
Equestrian Escapes offers a choice of 10 fabulous riding holidays in Cheshire
Things to do and see
For non-riders in the group, there is an abundance of activities in Cheshire.
- Cycling in Delamere Forest – the forest has extensive double and single track for you to explore. Whilst single track is better suited to the more adventurous mountain biker, families might like to create their own route on the fireroads that run throughout the forest. Bike hire for all abilities from Tracs on 01606 881802
- Walks and trails around Cheshire – Sandstone Trail, Whitegate Way or the Delamere forest all have great pub walks!
- Cholmondeley Castle and Gardens – Dominated by the beautiful romantic gothic style castle these extensive ornamental gardens are one of the best kept secrets in the North of England. With lakeside walks, a play area, plus llamas and pygmy goats. From here you can also visit Beeston and Peckforton Castle which all command views across Cheshire. Cheshire SY14 8AH tel: 01829 720383
- Arley Hall and Gardens - this is one of the most interesting and attractive stately homes in the North West. Arley, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 6NA tel: 01565 777353
- Explore Historic Chester – with Roman city walls and Amphitheatre plus medieval streets and Cathedral and famous shopping ‘Rows’
- Chester Zoo- the zoo is home to over 21,000 endangered and exotic animals based in beautiful, award-winning gardens. 500 different animal species in 125 acres explore by water bus and monorail. Upton by Chester, Chester, Cheshire, CH2 1EU Tel: 01244 380280
- Blue Planet Aquarium - Get up close to sharks and see real scuba divers in the daily feed shows in the Aquatheatre. With one of the best collections of Sharks, Fish, Frogs, Spiders and Otters – Cheshire Oaks, Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, CH65 9LF tel: 0151 357 8804
- Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet– Located off Junction 10 of the M53, it is the largest outlet centre in the United Kingdom, with 145 stores. Large, pedestrianised, village-style site for designer and high-street fashion brand discounts. Kinsey Rd, Ellesmere Port CH65 9JJ tel: 0151 348 5600
- The Cotebrook Shire Horse Centre - Set in 50 acres in the heart of the beautiful Cheshire countryside, home of the internationally renowned Cotebrook Shire Horse Stud have been breeding prize winning Shires here for over 40 years and they form the centrepiece of the Centre. Eaton Ln, Tarporley CW6 9DP tel: 01829 760506
- Chester Zoo
- Blue Planet Aquarium
- Go Ape Delamere Forest – high rope and zip wire course high up in the forest canopy! Features a junior ropes course too! tel: 01603 895500
- Chester Walls Tour
- Virtual Reality Escapes, Chester – Futuristic gaming centre for all ages and abilities 12B Upper North Gate Street, Chester CH1 4EE tel: 01244 373 721
Where to eat and drink
Chester is a classic, contemporary city bursting with must see treasures, the city has a rich heritage and boasts spectacular shopping and fine dining. Here is a list of our top recommended pubs and restaurants in Cheshire.
- The Pheasant Inn - sitting atop the Peckforton Hills tucked away in a beautiful corner of rural Cheshire where you can experience some of the finest panoramic views of the Cheshire plain across to the Welsh hills. Burwardsley, Tattenhall, Cheshire, CH3 9PF tel: 01829 770434
- The Alchemist - a cocktail bar & restaurant that celebrates molecular mixology, alchemy and craftsmanship. Drinks are served in all manner of vessels with theatre, panache and a healthy sprinkling of magic.10 St. John Street, Chester, Cheshire, CH1 1DA tel: 01244 319425
- The Fishpool Inn - Idyllically positioned on the edge of the Delamere forest, the award winning Fishpool Inn is a cosy, characterful inn dating back to the 18th century. Fishpool Road, Delamere, Cheshire, CW8 2HP tel: 01606 883277
- The Old Fire Station Chocolate Shop and Café- 52 / 54 High Street , Tarporley , Cheshire , CW6 0AG tel: 01829 733 736
- The Fox and Barrel - Hand-pulled ales and daily changing menus in an award winning white-washed country pub with an airy dining area. Cotebrook, Tarporley CW6 9DZ tel: 01829 760529
- Coast – Italian influenced food with a light and fresh decor, but with areas created to provide a more intimate ambiance and dining experience during the evenings. 67 High St, Tarporley CW6 0DP tel: 01829 730785
- The Swan Tarporley - this 16th century Swan has been the heartbeat of Cheshire's picturesque Tarporley village for over 400 years. Cream teas, pub lunches and dining. 50 High St, Tarporley CW6 0AG tel: 01829 733838
How to get there
Main motorway links to Chester & Cheshire are through the M6, M56 and M53.
The nearest airports to Chester & Cheshire are Manchester International and Liverpool John Lennon, which are both about 40 minutes by road. Car Hire available from the airports or a bus/train service to Chester.
Chester is only two hours from London by train where you can connect to local Arriva Trains services to the North Wales Coast. Crewe is the northern hub of the rail network with regular connecting services throughout the region. There are inward services from London, Scotland, Derby, Birmingham and the West Midlands.
Chester Taxi Services 01244 421024
Abbey Taxi 01244 318318
KingKabs 01244 343434
Cycling in Delamere Forest
Forest trails in Delamere
Cholmondeley Castle Gardens
Arley House and Gardens
Shopping Rows in Chester
Chester Roman Gardens
Roman Walls in Chester
Blue Planet Aquarium
Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet
Cotebrook Shire Horse Centre
Virtual Reality Escapes